Re: This is getting bloody!

To: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: This is getting bloody!
From: Alan Bent <ajb@squirrel.com.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:53:49 +1000
I'll stay out of this debate about the size of American's posteriors.
On the topic of Roadsters for sale, there have been quite a few for sale down
here too. The prices seem to be on the increase again this year. The prices
dropped a bit a few years ago when new convertibles like the Mazda Miata and
the Ford/Mercury Capri came on the market. A lot of people who really only
wanted a convertible rather than a sports car rushed to sell their Roadsters,
Triumphs, Healeys, MGs, etc. and to buy one of  the soft cumfy new
convertibles. With out sounding too rude, but it was good in a way because now
nearly all the Roadsters down here are owned true entheusiasts and the quality
of the remaining cars has increased a lot in the past years. In the past few
years Datsun Roadsters have started to be accepted more readily. The general
consensus here was that they were only a copy of an MGB, but now people have
realised that are actually vastly superior to the dodgy British sports cars.
Also there has been some good press about them lately, we have had a nice
article about the high screen cars, featuring Rob Hewitson's SR311, in the
biggest selling car magazine in Australia, and Datsun Roadsters came 1st 2nd
and 3rd in their class at the recent historic races at Leyburn. All this makes
people pay attention, and it adds to the value of the cars too.
I mentioned earlier something about the Ford/Mercury Capri. I would like to
take this opportunity, on behalf of all Australians, to sincerely apologise
for sending that god awful little Capri to your country. The Capri represents
the very pinacle of Australian car design, unfortunately that gives you an
idea of what the rest of our cars are like. (I think the Capri was our way of
saying thanks to the USA for sending us things like rap music, whipped cream
in a can, and Bruce Willis movies)
Alan Bent  -  Queensland , Australia
1966 Fairlady SP311  -  1965 Silvia CSP311
1966 Fairlady SP311  -  1964 Fairlady 3 seater SP310
1964 Fairlady 3 seater SP310 - 1964 Cedric Wagon WP31
1963 Bluebird P312 -  1963 Bluebird P312
1963 Cedric P31 - 1964 Cedric Wagon 1964
1969 Super Six G130
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/3823/index.html