Re: Metal work question/

To: "Eric R. Wittinger" <wittiner@ee.pdx.edu>,
Subject: Re: Metal work question/
From: Mike Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 13:10:22 -0700

"Eric R. Wittinger" wrote:

> Hi all, a quick question to those that have had some experience int metal
> working on cars..
> I looked at a 69 2l last night the car was great except for the rocker
> pannels, the body part that frames teh bottom of the door.  The problem:
> is that the lower half of the driver side one is gone, that is you can
> open the door and see on problems but get on your hands and knees and hey
> look a large hole for my arm :-)  The passanger side is not as bad just
> places to stick your hand in...  The rest of the car is rust free, and in
> great shape?  I have pics getting devloped and will put them on next
> monday,
>
> My concerns are cost of getting this fixed, then painting.  I have not
> done any metal work before, some weldng n the exaughst, but it doesn't
> count.
>
> It was also my first time to drive a 2L, nice power over a 1600.
>
> Eric
>
> 66 1600 daily driver
> 67.5 1600 daily driver (for sale)
> 69 2L thrown timing chain (getting a 1600 motor temp )
> 67.5 1600 race car in progress
>
> | Eric R Wittinger                             |
> | Pacific Northwest National Laboratory        |
> | NSD Radiological and Chemical Sciences Group |
> | Web page            www.ee.pdx.edu/~wittiner |
> | Email               wittiner@EE.pdx.edu      |
> | Email (work)        Eric.Wittinger@pnl.gov   |

Eric,
My car had the same problem as the car you were looking at actually
the rust was so bad I removed all the metal, and fiberglassed over the
holes. This is not the best repair procedure, but I haven't welded since
High School. You have seen my car , and you probably didn't notice.

I will be using the body of my other car eventually, and would like to
turn the current driver into a race car.

Mike