starter problem?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: starter problem?
From: <neffster@bemail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:21:46 GMT
well, i thought i query the wisdom of this here group. i confess i
haven't started looking into it yet, but i've never heard a starter
do this before:

In about the last month, about 1 of every 20 or so starts, the
starter has started to ^@&#%&!, like when some moron hits the
starter when the engine's already idling (don't ask me know how i
know that sound). since the engine is NOT running, i assume the
starter must be spinning BEFORE it engages into the flywheel-teeth.
Why? Could this be something simple like making sure my last
battery-removal didn't leave the terminals too loose? or is the
starter/solenoid probably going? (for that matter, is the solenoid
a separately replaceable item? -- I _really_ haven't looked yet!).

I've never heard a starter do this before. my experience has been
that bad solenoid's go 'click', bad starters go 'RUHRUhRuhruhruh'..
I've never heard one that sounded like it was hammering the flywheel
(uh, except when some moron....).

Temps are dropping down to a balmy 30 degree's in the mornings now,
so 'tired' armature's and the like could be making their presence
known.. any thoughts as to what to pursue would be appreciated...

thanks,
dan.
Dan Neff   '69 2000
       SRL311-12866