Re: Japanese Lic Plates?

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Japanese Lic Plates?
From: "Bill Barber" <birukun@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:31:53 -0700
If you know anyone in Japan, it is really only a matter of asking.
Everything for car registration is tied to the plate number, not the VIN (I
have got a good story about that...). When a car is scrapped, the plates and
registration go back to the Land Transportation Office for that area. Only
one is required; the other may have been "totalled" in an accident. That is
how I have received mine, with the exception of a pair of illuminated plates
that were not returned with the registration. All that required was the "I
don't know Japanese and I don't know what you are talking about and why
should you go through all the trouble and isn't it almost closing and that
is a lot of paperwork don't you think ?" look.
And they were free.

As to plates matching cars from the factory site, they would be Yokohama.

The current plates issued in Japan have a new format that came out about a
year ago, which changes the smaller numbers on the top next to area kanji
from 2 digits to 3 digits. (ie. 33 is now 300)

Also, it is impossible to get any combination other than a hiragana symbol
and  2 pairs of numbers. You can try to get 2 pairs of in any combination,
if they are not taken. The hiragana symbol is also specific to car type,
just like the 2 (now 3) digits next to the area kanji.

Thus you will NEVER see any ABCs on a Japanese license plate. (The ONLY
exception is a Y or E in place of the hiragana for U.S. Dept. of State or
Dept. of Defense)

2 digit codes: (next to area Kanji)

00 - heavy equipment (4 axle cranes, etc.)
11 - modified car or truck (engine and chassis)
22 - heavy epuipment
3X - sports car stock (block and heads original, other mods ok to a point.)
4X - Commercial Vehicle (company owned)
5X - passenger vehicle ( 2000 cc and less)
7X - passenger vehicle ( 2000 cc and less, generally on used cars)
88 - modified car or truck (chassis only)
99 - heavy equipment (steam rollers, etc.)

X denotes multiple combinations. (55,56,57) Those without X are as they
appear. (ie. there is no 90,91,92)
These are from my own observations and speaking with LTO authorities.
If anyone knows different, please let me know. It has made for some good
discussion after dinner. (Yes, I do have a life, really!)

Plates of the last generation are available, but may not be around for too
much longer!

Bill Barber
srl311-09363