Bummer

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Bummer
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 99 09:21:48 CDT

Bummed!

Not a roadster issue, but still involves driving and accidents.

My nephew Alan, 16, was driving while my sister and her husband
were in the Toyota Landcruiser (older model). He dropped two
wheels off the pavement onto a soft shoulder. Should have been
a simple matter of to continue straight, and easily work his
way back onto the road.

Sadly he over corrected. In doing so, got the landcruiser
sideways, and barreled rolled about three times. All three
survived, but looks like my brother-in-law will be a quadriplegic.
My sister is still in shock, badly bruised. Alan is very
depressed about the accident and his fathers condition. I
explained to take "one day at a time".

It was an accident, plain and simple. He was going the speed
posted (50 mph), and with the parents in the car was being
responsible. Still, that one bit of information of how
NOT to respond too quickly, but slowly bring the wheels back
on the road was missing. Just bummed.

Very least, if you have a teenager learning to drive seems
we should make up a list of "what they do not teach you in
drivers education".  As a 'kid' I used to practice skidding
in a large parking lot after a fresh rain. Get up to 50 mph,
and slam on the brakes and 'spin the car' was great fun.
Ditto on putting two wheels into the mud, and getting back
on the road. Of course, later I went pro-rallying, and did
roll a few cars... but that learning has stayed with me
for ages.

Just bummed. Simple over correction at the wheel... results
my nephew will live with the rest of his life. Good sweet
kid, just hope he can recover from it. For my sister and
her husband, they will get through this. Not easy, but a
matter of 'one day at a time'. A simple prayer on
their behalf's is all I ask.

Sincerely,

Tom