Re: Windshield Replacement

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Windshield Replacement
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:13:58 -0700
Jim,
        What I learned the hard way:
You do all of the actual "put the glass in, take the glass out" work
with the 'chrome' (actually stainless) and the gasket in place around
the windshield. So:
        To remove the windshield, you push the whole assembly outward (GENTLY!)
and work the inner lip of the gasket over the bodywork.  Or if you don't
need to save the gasket, but want the glass, cut the rubber away with a
knife- carefully!
        To put it back in, clean everything 3 times, then put the gasket on the
glass.  Next, add the trim.  Apparently, there are 2 types of gasket- on
one, the trim fits entirely inside the rubber, on the other, it only
attaches by its inside lip.  Can anyone confirm/deny this?
        Then wrap a cord into the outside lip of the gasket (where the body
will ultimately be) and set teh windshield on the car.  I start at teh
bottom, and work around both sides at the same time to minimize stress
on the glass...  Then, as you pull the cord into the car, it should help
guide the lip of the seal over the body of the car.  It's almost
imperative to have a helper pushing GENTLY inward on the glass...  So as
you work the cord around, it'll get the lip into place, and the
windshield will seat.
        It's a royal pain, but not impossible.  Tom, is there a FAQ on this?
Toby