Re: U-20 timing chain

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: U-20 timing chain
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:12:14 -0700
Mike,

I agree. Prior to buying, I was also told by the PO that the 1600 engine
had just been rebuilt. However, he didn't say how poorly the job was done!
Shortly after the sale and the problems I encountered, that 1600 engine is
only good as a boat anchor. I am rebuilding a 2000 engine as a replacement,
goes in this month (and I left out the lower guide, that had broken off). I
hope to post pictures next week.

Fred - So.SF
'66 1600 will be a 2000
'70 1600 daily driver
'68 2000 in pieces

>Subject: U-20 timing chain
>Author:  Mike Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
>Date:    8/24/99 1:24 PM
>
>Hi all,
>This is a folllow up on a question I had several weeks ago.
>I decide to remove the engine from my car. After the timing started >to
fluctuate. What a wise decision that was.

>The following items were found wrong during the removal and >tear down of
my engine

>First thing was there was a clunking sound coming from the transmission
>tunnel everytime I went around a corner. I found the upper trans.
>bolts missing. The transmission was floating back and forth in the
>tunnel.
>
>The second item was that the lower guide on the timing chain was >broken
and laying on the top of the pan lip. The chain was slowly >eating its way
through the upper guide bolt. I was real close to the >death part of the
U-20 death rattle. I was told by the PO that this >engine had just been
rebuilt.

>I will take pictures of the timing assembly an post them as soon as I >get
>chance..
>
>Back to the garage I go to finish the diassembly. Then off to the >machine
shop.

>Mike
>Hayden Lake, Idaho
>
>P.S. The moral of the story is; don't believe what the PO tells you >all
the time there just trying to sell the car.