U-20 timing chain

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: U-20 timing chain
From: Mike Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:24:06 -0700
Hi all,
This is a folllow up on a question I had several weeks ago.
I decide to remove the engine from my car. After the timing started
to fluctuate. What a wise decision that was.

The following items were found wrong during the removal and
tear down of my engine

First thing was there was a clunking sound coming from the transmission
tunnel everytime I went around a corner. I found the upper trans.
bolts missing. The transmission was floating back and forth in the
tunnel.

The second item was that the lower guide on the timing chain was
broken and laying on the top of the pan lip. The chain was slowly
eating its way through the upper guide bolt. I was real close to the
death part of the U-20 death rattle. I was told by the PO that this
engine had just been rebuilt.

I will take pictures of the timing assembly an post them as soon as I
get a
chance..

Back to the garage I go to finish the diassembly. Then off to the
machine shop.

Mike
Hayden Lake, Idaho

P.S. The moral of the story is; don't believe what the PO tells you
all the time there just trying to sell the car.