Re: Starter diagnosis

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter diagnosis
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 99 09:43:20 CDT
Uh, Pat.

I am confused on this one.

My 63 Bluebird uses a Bendix Spring. Solenoid is mounted up on the
firewall of the vehicle. Like the MG's, and old American cars, it
is nothing more than a starting motor and a "bendix spring" at the
end of the shaft. Roadsters have a combined starter/solenoid and do
not use a Bendix Drive.On

As Charlie commented the 1600/2000 roadster solenoid has two functions:

1: Pull on a plunger that is connected to the starter. Lever arm
arrange will pull the starter gear forward while the plunger travels
back into the solenoid.

2: As the plunger bottoms out in the solenoid, it will hit a large
contact bar that will engage cause the starter to start spinning.

I'd be guessing as to the problem on John's starter until he gets it
pulled out.

Cheers,

Tom