Starter diagnosis

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Starter diagnosis
From: "John E. Stromgren" <jstromgr@sqi.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:15:20 -0700 (PDT)
Hey, Gang:

I've got one of those starter sounds that I know dozens of you could identify
and prescribe solutions for without even looking anything up:

        1) I turn the key
        2) I get a quiet little whirring sound
        3) I look for an incline to push-start the car
        4) I remember to be thankful for manual transmission

So, something with the solenoid not engaging, right?

Now it's not the sound of the starter missing teeth on the ring gear - I know
that sound, and this is not it - much quieter and no pinion looking for a gear
to mesh with.

What do I do besides remembering to park on a hill?

-John
John E. Stromgren
'70 2000 (#14061)
Issaquah, WA, USA