Ignition questions (Pertronix, timing, and vacuum advance)

To: "roadster" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition questions (Pertronix, timing, and vacuum advance)
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kyle@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 09:04:16 -0700
Hi all:

Got a new non-smog distributor and Pertronix ignition in my '69
2000.  Didn't really notice a big performance increase, but it
starts and idles WAY better.

However, the Pertronix install instructions state the clearance from
reluctor (probably not what it's really called) and the pickup to be
.030"  The problem I have is that the mounting holes for the
Pertronix place are countersunk, leaving ZERO adjustability unless I
break out the ol' Dremel and slot one of the mounting holes.  What
have the rest of you done?

What should I set the idle timing at with this stuff?

I don't currently have the vacuum advance hooked up, as the non-smog
distributor uses a threaded fitting instead of plain vacuum line.
What are the list's thoughts on the vacuum advance from performance,
drivability, and economy perspectives?  If I should hook the vac
advance back up, what's the best way to do it?  Looks like I need a
fitting of some type...

TIA,
       ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond
   _.;(____\____    72 240Z, L28, 5spd, poly, etc. - The Z-Beast