Re: SPL 310

To: "Duram Plummer" <duram@mossy.com>,
Subject: Re: SPL 310
From: shifty <shifty@well.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 22:40:38 -0700
Hi Duram,

Welcome to the list and to the world of Datsun roadsters. Looks pretty
good, but it'll be interesting too see it after a really good cleaning.
Seems to be very complete. You'll need some proper 1500 hub caps - they
really add to the look of the car! Is that the original paint?

on 6/30/1999 10:01 PM Duram Plummer wrote:

>Should this car be positive or negative ground?

I'm pretty sure all 1500's were positive ground (at least all the
3-seaters). Negative ground came in with the 1600 in '66.

>Are the nuts and bolts metric or standard?

Should be mostly standard - tell that to your local parts-house guy and
he'll get that confused-dog tilt to his head.

>>From the old messages in this group about serial numbers this serial number
>does not seem to match this year? SPL310-00006-D

'64's had the serial number in the form of 4-SPL310-0000, the 4 denoting
1964 - not sure about the '65's.

>Also from old messages and other info on the web I thought 65's were
>supposed to have 2 seats? This one has 3.

It seems that they used up what parts they had on hand before changing
things over. Your dash is the 3-seater variety. The later 1500's have a
1600-like dash and a unique ashtray near the shifter. Also possible that
the plate was stamped by the dealer - it was common (with most import
cars) to sell left over cars from the previous year as the next years
model.

Your engine block color makes me wonder if the engine has been redone at
some time. I thought that all G-series engines were painted black.

It's great to see all the 310's on the list these days!

Leigh Brooks
San Francisco
'64 1500 - new head at the machine shop