Re: A possibly really stupid question.

To: Alan Bent <ajb@squirrel.com.au>
Subject: Re: A possibly really stupid question.
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 10:28:45 PST8PDT
Our friends from down under ask:
> We have figured out that an "SUV" is
> a four wheel drive or something similar. What we haven't figured out is
> what the initials "SUV" stands for.

The auto manufacturers tell us it stands for 'Sport Utility Vehicle'.
Imagine taking a pickup truck frame, putting an oversized car
body on it, and lining it with plush. At several thousand pounds
and way off the ground (most of them tend to tip over in slalom
tests), it certainly isn't a sports car. With all that plush and at the
outrageous $$$ it certainly isn't a utility vehicle. Since there are
fellow SUV owners on this list I wish to remain on speaking
terms with, I won't repeat some of the alternative acronyms
that get kicked about :-)

-- John