Re: Looking for Negative Camber settings

To: "Miller, Don" <MillerD2@idhw.state.id.us>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Looking for Negative Camber settings
From: "Michael A. Unger" <munger@vims.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:44:04 -0400
Don: Camber settings will vary depending on type (bias vs radial) and brand
tires. In general, radials want more camber than bias ply. Some of the new
generation radials are designed to work on stock class cars (where
adjustment is limited) so they have some neg camber built in with different
stiffness in the inside vs outside sidewalls. For autocross (and usually
track stuff too) you generally want the car to turn in well at the expense
of stability and braking, so lots of camber is the rule. By using long A-arm
bolts with nuts backing them up you can achieve lots of neg camber (2-3
degrees)by shimming. Set the toe after you set camber. A little toe out will
also help the car turn in for autocross. For bias ply usually less than 1
deg, for radials up to 3 degrees. Ask around to people who are running
similar tires. That will give you a starting point. A word of warning, a car
set up to autocross really well is not a relaxing car to drive on a public
road and will try to jump in the ditch on a crowned road, so be careful if
this is a dual purpose car.

Mike

At 09:00 AM 6/23/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Alright all you race fans, I am in need of some camber recommendations. From
>looking at my car I can tell that the camber is not the same on each side of
>the car. What I am trying to find out is the max amount of neg camber
>someone has dialed in to their car. Here is the setup so far: Standard front
>springs, KYB GR2 shocks, 15x6.5 300 ZX wheels with 1/2" spacer to eliminate
>rubbing on A-Arm. Driver side has 1/2 deg neg and passenger side has 1/4 deg
>(driveway measurement). Any recommendations before I go to the alignment
>shop? Thanks all!
>
>Also, thanks for the weights on the cars. Mine will be weighed on Saturday
>when I go get the scales from the race trailer.
>
>Don Miller
>68 1600 VG30ET powered
>Meridian, ID

Michael A. Unger