Re: $500 roadster

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: $500 roadster
From: dtn <noji@mail.ahc.umn.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:56:45 -0500
Taylor,

As others have mentioned be very careful with a $500 car.  A bargin up
front, but then be very aware of the normal things that go wrong with these
cars and their associated expenses.

Leaky carbs - $200-$400 they normally need more than a "rebuild"
5th gear neutral - $150 parts, need engine hoist to replace
bad syncro's  - $$
Worn out ball joints - $500 for the set
Old radiator - $150-$200 for recore
rotted brakes - depending on how many cylinders need to be changed $100-$500
Worn out timing chain/gears/ if not changed if bad say good bye to motor -
$500
Smog dist. or worn out dist $50-$150

The list can go on and on and the items listed above are things that make
the car safe to drive.  The cars are very reliable, but if you get
something in the $500 range it will not be a better example of a car.
Don't think that a new paint job and seats will get you a good running car.

I think that many on the list work on their own cars.  Partly for the joy
of it, partly becouse it would be too expensive for others to do the work,
partly because it is not so easy to find someone competent to do the work.
So in general you might think that you are buying a life style not a piece
of transportation.

Dana

>fred's right. if you spend $500 on a roadster, you'll easily put in more
than
>$5000. i bought a 2000 two years ago for about $5000 and i've put in at
least
>that much into fixing it - and most of that money wasn't in restoration.
most
>of that money i spent on just the little things that go wrong day to day.
new