Re: Engine bearings

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine bearings
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:07:37 -0700
The short answer with modern bearings is
        yes, it's bad to scrape them.  They have a limited amount of 'bearing'
material, with a harder base underneath that. They're designed to
provide a pretty specific oil-flow pattern and rate...
        Of course, the camshaft/jackshaft bearings don't take as much of a
beating, and aren't as hi-tech as crank and rod bearings.  But I'd worry
that the bearing surfaces might not be in alignment (now OR before, if
it bound) which would add quite a bit of stress to the jackshaft.  Let
us know what the machinist says...
Toby

Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us wrote:

> Is it okay to buff rough spots on engine bearings?
 Either the bearing is not