Engine bearings

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine bearings
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:52:23 -0700
Is it okay to buff rough spots on engine bearings?

I ran into a glitch installing my jackshaft into the 3 press-fit bearings
on my U-20. It hung-up and wouldn't go in all the way. I pulled it back,
and found the first bearing now had a scrape towards the back. At first I
thought I caught some grit or dirt, but not so. Either the bearing is not
standard size, or the press-fit wasn't done right by the machine shop.

I polished out the scrape, and now the jackshaft goes in all the way. Does
anyone know what the bearing clearances are supposed to be for the
jackshaft?

I'm going to the machinist for an opinion on the polished bearing. I'm just
curious whether removing any surface material is bad for the bearing. A
long time ago a mechanic friend told me that he shimmed bearings on his
Chevy with aluminum foil without problems, so maybe bearings are pretty
rugged.

Fred - So.SF