My un-mechanical friend

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: My un-mechanical friend
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 00:08:04 EDT
Hello,

Many of us have been there and many of us know someone who has.  Mechanical
problems.  Okay, we have all been there.  You see green fluid underneath the
car and immediately you have a leaky water pump.  Or when you apply the
brakes and it pulls to one side you know right away that you need to rebuild
your front brakes.  Or........ and the list goes on and on.

I just expereinced something that may or may not teach me a lesson.  Anyway,
I ride a '78 Honda 750 Cafe Racer motorcycle.  Everytime I apply the brakes
the lights  flicker and then go off.  Then sometimes they dont even work
unless I play with the wire underneath the brake lever.  With the weather
getting warmer I fired up the bike again.  My buddy and I are going to hang
out tonight in The City.  Ahhhhh!  The lights are out in front and in the
rear.  Looks like the switch finally needs to be cleaned of the 20+ years of
corrosion.  I pull off the switch and clean it out.  Reinstall and nothing.
I guess we will be taking the car.  I think to myself,  what would my
un-mechanically inclined friend say.  "Hmmmm?  So the bulb is out?"  Before
he actually asks that I check and sure enough it is burned out.  Checked the
front lamp and there was a loose connector.  Okay, I turn the key and sure
enough everything is working fine.  Time to cuise and I am once again the
Master Mechanic!  (Yeah right!)

It seems obvious to me.  Try not to over exagerate the problem.  Go straight
to the basics.  Just like my friend would probably have.  I guess it is
natural to think the worst.  Especially for folks like us who are so
passionate about our machines.  Okay, I said enough.  But I had to get it out
of my system.  Or maybe I am trying to drill it into my system.  So did I
learn a time saving lesson?  I guess I will find out the next time.

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex
78 Honda CB750

ps:  I am glad I stopped or I would have to tell you about the stuck starter
switch on my bike.  You would be surprised how well a tap on the solenoid can
cure this problem.  ;>)