Re: Float Valve Lever

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, Richard James <richard@u.arizona.edu>
Subject: Re: Float Valve Lever
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 16:54:07 -0700
Hi Rich,

With roadsters (and in general with any car thinking of Murphy's Law) don't
assume anything! You find a problem, fix it and see if you get good
results. And then go looking for something else to fix!

When you turn the float chamber cover upside down, and using a ruler, measure
the clearance from the cover to where the lever contacts the float. I think it's
about 9/16 inch (check a manual to be sure).

The best way to deal with a carb problem, is to check as much as you can while
you're at it. That means testing the floats for leaks, checking the fuel inlet
lines for blockages (there's a small filter trap in the fuel inlets). Check the
fuel outlet and jet needle nozzle for blockages and dirt. While you're at it,
lift the suction piston and drop it, testing for a smooth drop and no hanging up
of the jet needle into the nozzle. I know it sounds complicated, but once you
carefully take apart an SU carb you'll see it's not that hard to maintain them.
Just be careful with the piston and needle assembly, you don't want to bend or
break that needle. Some people say they're hard to align, but I haven't had any
problems. Alignment problems could be due to bent needles. If yours is bent,
better to find out now so you can get replacement needles and nozzles. Also,
invest in a UniSyn carb balancer, worth every penny it costs.

Fred - So.SF
BADROC
'70 1600
'68 2000