hand throttle cable repair 68-70

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: hand throttle cable repair 68-70
From: Davesmbox@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 08:30:59 EDT
Hello list,
Thanks to a tip from Ross  at Sports Imports I rebuilt my broken hand
throttle cable. The cable snapped at the firewall. I removed the assembly,
cut the cable flush at the knob bar, ground it square. I then set the bar in
a drill press and after punching a dimple in the end drilled a 5/64" hole
3/4" deep in the end of the bar. I then cross drilled a hole to allow for
extra solder. I bought bike brake cable with a similar end as the roadster
cable on the accelerator linkage $2.99.A silver solder kit with correct flux
$5.99. I ran the cable through the housing (removed from car) set the knob
bar in a vise,iserted the cable through the long hole. Note it is very
important that the cable be the right length. Pull the cable through as far
as you can as you will be soldering about 1/2'' from the dash end of the
cable housing. Wrap a wet rag around the housing and solder using a propane
torch. WORKED GREAT. Repair time 1 1/2 hours.
 MY QUESTION???????????
 There was a clip on the accelerator bar. You have the cable running from the
carbs over the engine through the bar, then above it is the hand throttle
cable going in the opposite direction through the firewall. It looks like
this clip wants to go over the 2nd cable, but this causes the hand trottle
cable to bend every time you step on the gas. This is what broke my last
cable.
Does anyone know the correct configuration as to how these cables should go
through the bar?????And what holds them, as far as I know this clip could be
off some previous owners toaster
Thanks
Dave