Re: still spewing coolant

To: pete-3@juno.com
Subject: Re: still spewing coolant
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 09:23:09 EDT
In a message dated 06/02/1999 9:37:43 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
pete-3@juno.com writes:

<< Quick question

 What should the head bolts be torqued too.  I ordered a new cap but if
 that doesn't work I'm going to try to re-torque the head bolts like
 Barrie advised.  If the head gasket is bad or the head isn't on tight
 enough would the oil and coolant end up mixing?  I know the head gasket
 leakes oil slowly so this could very well be a possibility.  Also, what
 would make a car burn oil?  Piston rings, valves?  Right now my exhaust
 is getting pretty thick.  It's white with a bluish tint and it seems to
 be getting worse slowly.

Matthew,

Is this a 1600 or 2000? Torque is different.

You've got several things going on with head gaskets: they keep the coolant,
oil and compression all separate, and you can have mixtures of any of the 3
of them with a bad gasket. If your exhaust is white/blue I would suspect
coolant and oil getting in.  The coolant would most likely (and hopefully) be
a blown head gasket and the blue (oil) could be from rings, valve guides OR
head gasket, or a combination of them.

Pull the plugs and look at them and smell them. If you have a coolant leak
into the combustion chambers, it will likely be isolated to one cylinder and
you should be able to see/feel/smell it on the plugs.

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Albuquerque