Re: Off topic (was: still spewing coolant)

To: slick@mohaveaz.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Off topic (was: still spewing coolant)
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 18:36:28 EDT
In a message dated 03-06-99 3:13:26 PM EST, slick@mohaveaz.com writes:

<< My car no. is 000852.  the color of my car now is  brownish, but the paint
 underneath is a bright yellow.  Do I dare repaint it back to looking like a
 canary? >>

Hello,

You have a very rare car if it is a 67.5 2000 Roadster.  You are certainly in
a very tough situation.  Based on your description of the condition of the
car you are in for at least $6,000 plus to get the car running well.  This
would include all of the mechanicals such as brakes, suspension, electrical,
drivetrain etc...  Then you would need to contend with the bodywork and
paint.  The time that would be involved also is a factor.  You are in for
quite sometime if you plan to work on it part time.  If you bring it to a
professional shop such as one of the members of this Roadster list you are
probably looking at a waiting list plus the additional costs for labor.

I dont mean to scare you in regards to owning your rare Roadster.  Sometime
you have to weigh the costs of getting your current car on the road or
possibly trading it in for something that is basically turn-key ready.
Again, if you have a real 67.5 SRL Solex you are in a good position to trade
it in.  There are many collectors and rebuilders out there that would take
you car off of your hands.

Another thing about having a rare car.  Too me and many others out there,
when it come to driving a car, a Roadster is just that, a Roadster.  Yes
there are some cars that are alittle more rare then others but when it comes
down to the feeling of driving your Roadster on a clear morning and
everything is working so well and feeling so good... it doesn't matter what
year it is.

I have already spent lots of time and money (sigh) on rebuilding my classic
cars.  I think that I cut my losses with my current ride by buying it at a
60% state rather than a 25%'er.  At least it didn't take to much time to get
it on the road.  Now I can just enjoy the ride and the regular maintenance
schedule.  Good luck on your decision.  Which ever way you decide to go it
will be the right choice.  You do have the support of the members on the list
to carry you through the completeion of your wonderful dream car.

Here are some pics of the recent rebuild processof my 67.5.  Enjoy!

http://members.aol.com/calspeed1/restoration.html

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex
San Francisco, Ca