Last weekend

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Last weekend
From: bill/liz wessel <bwessel@itis.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 00:33:50 -0500
Last weekend, I took the other, older (to me, actually it's the newer of
the two) racecar out to my home track, Blackhawk Farms for it's second race
of the season. The weather was fine and the car was running good.

For the race I started 10th and settled in well. I was well ahead of the
only other guy in class (a Fiat X/19) and was actually just about to put
him a lap down when my brakes went out, completely!...again!

I had a rather frantic corner 7 when I realized that no matter how
hard/fast I pumped, we weren't slowing down, and the puffs of white smoke
from the left front were futile distress signals (brake fluid hitting hot
rotors). Oh well...I crammed it into second and nearly spun it as the car
lurched to the inside. But I was able to drive it out. I debated bringing
it in, but decided to just see if I could bring it home. From then on I
just lay back, let everyone go, stayed out of everyone's way....but stayed
out....and came around to WIN! Seems the X/19 went in on lap 16, I
completed 20 laps (the leaders 22) and finished well back, but
finished....first!

The post race autopsy revealed that the brakeline junction bracket that is
spotwelded to the rotor backing plate failed due to tension from an
improperly installed stainless line (had a twist in it). When the weld
failed, all tension and vibration were put to the steel line which
eventually failed at the fitting at the caliper. Hence, no brakes! (This
was a dual master, but if the rears were working, it was imperceptible).

Anyway, a new line is ordered, a bracket is being fabricated, and I'm
having some rusty, but good, old rotors turned (0.40") (the ones on the car
needed replacing, 0.30") and ordering new Carbotec pads (~10 races old,
pretty worn) .

Chock it up to experience...that's racing, as they say. Well, whatever they
say, brakes are a good thing. Two races in a row in my two cars....that's
enough!

See ya at the track.......

Bill Wessel
Madison, WI