Re: Any ideas? Overheating 2000...

Subject: Re: Any ideas? Overheating 2000...
From: "Christopher Coker" <ccoker@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 22:38:18 -0400
> I have a first-time, mystery overheating problem, and I'd appreciate the
> list's ideas on this one...

Here's my $0.02

Last summer I noticed the 1600 would take a long time to warm up, and
then would run hot (but not overheat) after running on the freeway.

I finally got the bright idea of putting my hand on the front of the
radiator, and about 70% of it was cool!  I wound up getting the radiator
re-cored with a four row core.

The reason the water was taking longer to get up to temperature -
Apparently at some point I had used a screwdriver to 'burp' the thermostat,
to get the system to fill faster, but I had pushed the thermostat off of the
little pin that it slides on.  Took the 'stat out, reseated it, and it has
worked fine ever since.  I've since taken the fan off of the car.  Car
warms up quick, and stays cool.  Amazing how well the cooling system works
when it's functioning properly!

I'm in the process of installing an electric fan, but I haven't really
needed in in MI yet.

Hope this is helpful,

Chris Coker
Royal Oak, MI