Any ideas? Overheating 2000...

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Any ideas? Overheating 2000...
From: Bob Mann <rwmannco@interport.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 09:45:37 -0400
I have a first-time, mystery overheating problem, and I'd appreciate the
list's ideas on this one...

Ran the 2000 for an aggressive, ten-mile circuit, preparatory to a
Memorial Day outing.  Though the temp gauge never rose more than
half-way from intermediate line towards red-line, a bit higher than
normal, on the "cool-down" portion of the loop, I clearly heard gurgling
and found the surge tank relief line was spewing steam.

After shut-down, it clearly sounded as if the coolant was boiling at the
bottom the the radiator.  Pressure cap on the radiator not leaking.
Relief cap on the surge tank appears to be operating as intended, though
spewing steam as noted.  Loosening the cap (carefully), resulted in
immediate boil-over and coolant surge.

Grounding the temp sensor got me a full-scale red-line reading, so the
reading seems to have been genuine.

On refilling with water, I added approx 0.75 gallons, I see swirling at
the cap, indications of flow, and no bubbles indicating head gasket
problems.  Water is clear, no oil.

A clue?  On revving above 3000, I see some disformation of the lower
radiator hose, it is clearly flattening out.  Could this be evidence of
a blocked radiator, sucking the hose shut?

Any ideas on this?  Thanks.

- Bob Mann, '69 2000 Solex
--
- R.W. Mann & Company, Inc.   >  Airline Industry Analysis
  Port Washington, NY  11050  >  tel 516-944-0900, fax -7280