Re: Valve Settings

To: SpearsEng@aol.com, ROADSTER <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve Settings
From: Philip Erickson <philip.erickson@Agouron.COM>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 15:14:24 -0700
Frank,
If your mechanic is talking about the setting be different with a performance
cam he is correct.  The clearance is determined by the cam grind ( location /
size of the ramps on the cam) and valve train geometry (ratio).  The ramps
"smoothly" transition the valve onto and off of the cam.  If the clearance is
too great you will miss the ramps and this will destroy the cam or break
valves.  IMHO If you have valve noise and the head has been rebuilt correctly,
the first place I would check is the rocker arm and shafts.

--
Philip Erickson                                  Phone:  (619) 622-7963
Associate Scientist