Re: Valve Settings

To: SpearsEng@aol.com
Subject: Re: Valve Settings
From: Jim Grant <jigrant@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 16:15:37 -0700
By new head, did you mean new to your car, or brand new.  If it's brand
new, I'd hope whoever did the work check the valve train components
prior to re-installation.  If you have faith in the condition of all of
the components, I'd have to ask what mechanic's judgement that the
valves were too loose and noisy (tapping) was based on.  This is very
subjective.

If the head isn't brand new, and or the valve train components, check as
suggested by John Sandhoff.  If the head is reconditioned, and likely
had been milled, another potential danger of too tight a clearance is
valve to piston contact - very ugly.

Cheers, Jim