Re: Meaning of Chapman's Lotus

To: rodbean@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Meaning of Chapman's Lotus
From: Mike Causer <mikec@dial.drakken.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:53:18 +0100
rodbean@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Robert Allred wrote:
>
> > I've read in several references that Colin Chapman was reluctant to
> > describe the motivation to name his company and racing team "Lotus".

> I think it remains a mystery.  Mike Causer, may know the whole history of
> theories.

There are a few theories in Alan Perry's Lotus FAQ on the "Lotus List"
website.   I discount the "Lot U/S" theory on two grounds, first that
he was working on the Mark One for a year before the s/hand car market
crash, and secondly at the time the abbreviation U/S mean "Unservicable",
from the military.  "Not Sold" is the standard British phrase for auctions
too.

> One was that it was the brand of his beloved sled.... no that was Citizen
> Cane.  I've heard though that it may have had something to do with Colin
> and Hazel's early days.

According to Jabby Crombac his bicycle was called Lotus before he was old
enough to have cars, but that still doesn't explain it of course.

Mike