Re: Meaning of Chapman's Lotus

To: rallred@inconnect.com, Chapman-era@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Meaning of Chapman's Lotus
From: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:28:09 EDT
In a message dated 7/19/99 5:03:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
rallred@inconnect.com writes:

<< describe the motivation to name his company and racing team "Lotus". >>

The best "tale" I have heard goes like this:

Before building his first trials and race cars, Chapman made a little money
on the side by dealing in used cars.  A downturn in the used car market left
Colin Chapman with several unsold cars.  One of them became the Mark I.
Among used car dealers, cars were called "lots" and a car that was unsold was
abbreviated

                                              "Lot u/s"
with the "u/s" meaning unsold.  When Chapman first entered the car, the story
goes, he devilishly listed it as a Lotus, and those in the car trade would
understand his play on words.

As an aside, I mentioned this story to Clive Chapman, and he didn't seem to
put much credence in it.

Has anyone asked Hazel Chapman?  Surely she knows, but is she telling?

David Whiteside