Re: 26R Chassis

To: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>, <lotus-cars@lists.best.com>
Subject: Re: 26R Chassis
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 11:12:32 -0500
>Tony C. replied:
>> Actually, neither the homologation papers filed with the FIA nor the
>> "build-sheet" used by "Lotus Components" to modify the Elan chassis
>> indicate much in the way of "reinforcement" to the Elan frame in the
>> building of an actual 26R race car. <snip>
>
>Yeah, as Tony has told us before, the configuration of the chassis
>is pretty far down on the list of things that distinguishes a real 26R
>from an Elan.  Other than the all-important chassis number, they just
>aren't very much different!

Hold on  . . . .  That's not what I said at all,  but we must be talking
about different things:
When I say "Frame" in reference to an Elan, I'm referring to just the
backbone frame welded assembly.  There was very little modification to that
unit in the build of a 26R by Lotus Components.
When I say "Chassis" in reference to an Elan, I'm referring to the frame
_WITH and including all of it's suspension and drive train_.    (my
Webster's agrees)

Therefore, I would say that the 26R FRAME was little changed from a stock
unit but the CHASSIS was vastly changed:  Engine, transmission housing, diff
housing, gearing on both diff and trans, drive shafts, suspension both front
and rear, brakes, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I hope this doesn't sound "picky" but, since the things we write about our
cars tend to become "history", it's important that we be very clear.

Tony
'65 Lotus 26R S2 #21 rolling chassis, less drivetrain