Re: 26R Chassis

To: <lotus-cars@lists.best.com>
Subject: Re: 26R Chassis
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 01:06:17 -0500
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From: Patrick O'Sullivan

I understand that the 26R chassis is reinforced in some areas.  I'm
considering a chassis change and wondered if anyone knows what this
reinforcement includes.  There's a significant upcharge for this
modification and I'm trying to assess if it's worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually, neither the homologation papers filed with the FIA nor the
"build-sheet" used by "Lotus Components" to modify the Elan chassis
indicate much in the way of "reinforcement" to the Elan frame in the
building of an actual 26R race car.  Front suspension mount point
reinforcement, rear anti-roll mounts, cut-outs for u-joint clearance,
suspension tower strengthening . . . that was about it.  Of course,
racers and chassis modifiers have welded up all sorts of bracing,
"triangulation", reinforcing, anti-intrusion bars, roll bars and
cages until some that I've seen look like they were adopted from a
NASCAR sedan.  Since "Lotus Components", the builders of the 26R race
car, haven't modified any Elan frames for about 30 years,  what
you're seeing called "26R" frames are actually Elan frames which
various shops and tuners have modified and "reinforced" hopefully
based on sound engineering and welding practices.  At least one of
the suppliers of race parts for the Elan has backed off from using
the "26R" designation in favor of the term "Spares for the
Competition Elan".

Tony Clark
Owner of the Ed Tucker "Lotus Southwest" 26R S2 #21, a "real" 26R
with a number plate!