Re: Elan reliability

To: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>,
Subject: Re: Elan reliability
From: "Patrick O'Sullivan" <posulliv@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:22:40 -0400
>> How bad *are* the early Elans?

How early is eary?  My comments below are based on my experience with the
simpler S2.  I cant comment on the S3/S4.

>Close but not perfect, is a very good way of putting it!

That sums up my experience as well.  The only time I've been stranded I KNEW
I was pushing the limit of good sense.

>...What are your thoughts on the right
>upgrades to do (consistent with the bang-for-the-buck imperative, and
>the minimum necessary impact to originality) to enhance reliability,
>and stretch out the service / maintenance intervals, for an Elan road
>car?

Here is what I have done to my car so far.  I like the results:

1)  Convert to negative ground.  Required rebuilding the tach which was
already broken ($100) and rerouting the tach sensing circuit ($10)
2)  Install the solid-state ignition from JAE ($100).  This fixed an
ignition problem with my Europa and I am sold on it.
3)  Braided steel brake hoses to replace the rubber ones.  Original rubber
ones on my car when I bought it.  ($80-120 depending on where you buy them.)
4)  Replaced the previous owner's coil-over modification in the rear with
real adjustable spring perches, installed the correct stock 95lb Hypercoil
springs, replace the Lotocones.  This was a 'make it right' modification
that I wouldn't have done if it had been left as stock.  ($250-400, don't
remember exactly)
5)  Sliding spline half shafts.  I had new, unused ones so I installed them.
They seem to be quite nice but I wouldn't pay for them.  New rotoflexes
would have been expensive but necessary if I hadn't had these parts.
6) K&N air filters. ($40?)  There was no air filtration installed on the car
when I bought it.  I had the original parts but couldn't figure out how to
route the original flexy hose and broke it while trying to install it.
7)  "Low rise" throttle linkage ($80?)  Required since the throttle linkage
uses the backing plate from the original air filtration system.  Really
great modification, makes setting up for heel and toe quite easy.
8)  Electric fan. ($45). The radiator is larger than stock.  I don't know if
the original one would have been adequate.  1967 service records show that
mine was replaced due to a cooling problem.  I had to install the electric
fan because a blade broke off the mechanical fan.  I was afraid the
imbalance would screw up the water pump.
9) New battery.  The old one broke loose in the trunk, rattled around,
discharged.  Moved it back to the original position behind the passenger's
seat.
10)  Portable phone, kit of tools, flashlight, just in case.  Standard old
car (not just Lotus) accessories.  That's the cost of driving a 32 year old
car that I haven't completely rebuilt myself.

I think that's it.  I have the parts to rebuild the calipers, stainless
steel pistons, rebuild kits, the parts to rebuild the master cylinder and
clutch cylinder (it leaks), wheel bearings, etc.  but I haven't had the time
to do that yet.

Most important advice:  DRIVE IT!  I travel a lot but when I'm in town my
Elan is my daily driver now.  It doesn't like sitting and runs better the
more I use it.  I don't use it on long trips because I haven't finished
sorting it out.  I would not hesitate to use it for 300-400 mile trips
though once I've finished the rebuild.

Regards,

Patrick O'Sullivan
'74 Europa Special