Re: That TEAM LOTUS font

To: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Subject: Re: That TEAM LOTUS font
From: Mike Causer <mikec@cam-ani.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 98 13:23:03 +0100
"Erik V. Berg" wrote on Wed, 17 Jun 1998 -
> Howdy, all.
> I'm trying to create some artwork, which would employ a font
> similar to that of the  TEAM LOTUS  script, found on the pre-
> Gold Leaf advertising factory team cars.
>
> I've noticed what seem inconsistent fonts, in pictures of
> different factory or ex-factory cars. The serif seems really
> prominent on most (eg the picture of the Lotus 40 in the Lotus
> Sports Racers Gold Portfolio) but less so on a few others (eg
> the picture of sans-helmet Chapman driving the 49).
>
> What gives?  Are these different styles both "correct"?

Yup.  Look at the pictures of the 25 in 1963 and the font is
definitely serifed, but the 49 just before the GL paint is
sans-serif and fairly bold.   I think you have to pick a year
and look at lots of photos.

> Is this just another case of "whatever they had on hand, at
> then time"?  Maybe they used whatever supplier produced the
> cheapest stencils?   ;-)

They would probably have been hand painted by a professional
signwriter in those days.

Mike

  Mike Causer -- Support Manager -- Cambridge Animation Systems
  Email: MikeC@cam-ani.co.uk             Phone: +44 1223 578100
  Web: http://www.cam-ani.co.uk/           Fax: +44 1223 578101