Re: tire pressure

To: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Subject: Re: tire pressure
From: Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 08:52:04 +0200 (MET DST)

>      I seem to recall that your wheels are 6" wide at the front and 7" in
>      the rear and that you are using street performance radials.
That is correct, we have just bought 4 yokohama avr (or avs) 720 (or 760)
(I am not sure of the "model" of the yokohama tires) 175/70 front, 185/70
rear.

>      20 psi only sounds close for race tires but any street tires generally
>      require more than that.  Or, if you are indeed using race tires and 20
>      is in the correct range, I wouldn't vary more than about 5 psi between
>      ends of the car (With maybe 22 as a top limit and about 17 as a bottom
>      limit).  For street tires, about 40-25 range.
Interesting, we started with 18 psi all round, and increased the pressure
at front to try to increase crispness. We started with 18 psi because that
is stock recommendation, why did Lotus recommend such a low tire pressure?
To improve comfort,or to improve handling of poor stock tires.
>      However, that said, most of us do use tire pressure to do a lot of
>      low-tech chassis tuning anyway, yours truly included.  In fact, the
>      most extreme example I can remember is years ago, when I was very
>      restricted by the slalom rules as to what mods were acceptable on the
>      girlfriend's Spitfire and was forced to use 38 frt./17 rear in order
>      to combat the stock frt. positive camber and rear negative camber (i.
>      e., to get the car to turn), using wide tires.  Won the championship
>      so it must have worked.
Seems so :)

>      I would advise adjusting the front pressure so the car turns in the
>      way you want it, and then putting the rear pressure where it will have
>      the front-rear response that you feel comfortable with.
>
>      I like trailing throttle oversteer which can be converted to stability
>      with driver inputs.  But not everyone likes that sort of handling.
>      Many prefer the "on rails" feel.  For that, you go more towards the
>      same pressure all around.  Since you have wider wheels on the back,
>      you may have to compensate for all the bite (which could overwhelm the
>      narrower front wheels/tires) by dropping the rear pressure.
>
>      I would guess that you'll end up with:
>
>      For race tires:  Frt. 20, Rr. 18
>
>      For street tires:  Frt. 36, Rr. 26 to 32 (see handling preferences
>      above).
Sounds sensible, but I assume that the ride will become a bit rougher,
 that is okay for me, but my father is a "softie" ;)
But we will have to try it.

>      Hope this helps.
It helps a LOT(US), as your answers usually do :-).

Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>