More: tire pressure

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net, Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: More: tire pressure
From: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 98 18:01:11 PST

     Tor,

     I forgot to give you the general philosophy for adjusting handling
     with tire pressure.

     Through most of the normal pressure range, the higher the pressure,
     the stiffer the sidewall and therefore, the more stick from that tire.

     As the tire rolls over under cornering loads, it eventually, gets to
     the point where some of the tread at the inside will not be in contact
     with the surface, reducing contact area and cornering ability for that
     tire.  By stiffening the sidewall, you allow the car to corner harder
     without that happening.

     If a car is not inclined to turn (not referring to just the front
     wheels but the rotation of the car.... the front and rear tire slip
     angles acting in concert to turn quicker than just the front wheels
     alone), and we're ruling out suspension adjustments, lowering
     pressures in the rear with respect to the front will generally make
     the back give up some grip (it is assumed that the front pressure is
     optimum for producing the best grip) allowing the car to turn more
     willingly.

     If a car is too quick to oversteer, bumping the rear pressure up will
     stabilize it more.

     If pressures in a given tire are high enough, generally, *very* high,
     the opposite effect will result.  The tire will crown.  Though it
     won't distort and lift the tread under cornering, neither will it have
     much tread on the ground in the first place.  So it will have less
     grip than a tire with sub-crowning pressure.  I don't care to use that
     side of the curve as a handling tool because it's more difficult to,
     by driving technique, get a crowned tire to stick when you want it to,
     than a slightly underinflated tire.

     To know which side of the curve you're on, make only small changes,
     evaluating the handling after each change.

     Rod