Re: [sevens] Front axle stubs - heat treatment......

To: <Sevens@boffin.beyond2000.co.uk>, "mods" <toyota-mods@cyberauto.com>,
Subject: Re: [sevens] Front axle stubs - heat treatment......
From: "Phil Bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 07:10:01 +1300
OK - thanks for the responses so far. I seem to get two radically different
answers - Yes, it is ok, don't worry about it, and alarm bells!

Consul 315 struts were fitted to a early 1960's UK Ford. Mine were
manufactured in 1961, so material specs are gonna be nigh on impossible to
get. The bottom castings were brazed in place originally, and are a close
fit.

I thought about using an automatic centre punch on the stub axle of the one
I have done and the one I have not touched, and comparing the indentations
as a DIY brinnel test...... maybe I should.

I decided to go this way as I was told it is an old trick racers used to do
with them. Bearing in mind they were brazed in place originally, but
obviously they have to get a lot hotter to separate them.

Obviously my hope is that they will be OK and not require anything more.
They are pretty beefy, and do we really think early 1960/late 50's cars were
that complex? (OK - so North American had plans for a space shuttle on the
blocks (X-20 DynaSoar) and were doing Mach 6 with X-15 , and XB-70 was about
to do mach 3, but I suspect Ford UK were a little less advanced!)

Any ideas how to establish the metal type?

Thanks

Phil Bradshaw
Auckland, New Zealand
:
1992 Leitch Supersprint 20 Valve 4AGE Lotus 7 Replica - 66,000 Miles
1964 Ford Anglia '105-GZE' Supercharged 4AGZE Club Car Project
1980 TA-45 2TGEU Celica Beater $200 Wonder
:
phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz
64-9-4437055 H
64-9-4455509 W