Front axle stubs - heat treatment......

To: "Ron Scanlan" <ronscan@voyager.co.nz>,
Subject: Front axle stubs - heat treatment......
From: "Phil Bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 16:18:29 +1300
Hiya peoples,

Next question - more of a general metallurgical one - I am most of the way
thru' modifying the front struts for the Anglia. The Consul 315 strut tubes
are factory brazed to the cast axle mount/foot. We heated them up and
dropped the casting off, as I am going to shorten the bottom of the tubes.
We used the minimum heat , but the casting still went a dull red in the
vicinity of the strut tube. The axle itself is now a light blue shade near
the strut tube. We did not put any heat directly on the axles, and let it
all air cool. Plan is to work out the exact length the strut tubes need to
be, cut them to that length, press them back into the castings and braze
them , again with as little heat as necessary, and air cooling. Any ideas on
whether any heat treatment etc is required? I really don't want the front
end coming apart at 120.....

I have made the upper platforms, next step will be to weld the lower
platform threaded sleeves on. Think of the Anglia as a clubman in a fully
enveloping bodyshell.......

Phil Bradshaw
Auckland, New Zealand
:
1992 Leitch Supersprint 20 Valve 4AGE Lotus 7 Replica - 66,000 Miles
1964 Ford Anglia '105-GZE' Supercharged 4AGZE Club Car Project
1980 TA-45 2TGEU Celica Beater $200 Wonder
:
phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz
64-9-4437055 H
64-9-4455509 W