Heat Treatment of Axle Stubs - Part 2

To: "mods" <toyota-mods@cyberauto.com>, "chapman" <chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Heat Treatment of Axle Stubs - Part 2
From: "Phil Bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 17:04:16 +1300
Hiya.

OK - the plot thickens. Today I talked to a guy who works for a heat
treatment company. He agreed that although I had to get the strut tube
sockets a dull red to melt the brazing enuff to remove the tubes, the
residual colouring of the axle stubs (straw to mid blue) indicates a max
temp of about 300 degrees centigrade. He said that unless I got it above
about 600 centigrade, ie dull red, there was most likely no requirement to
do any heat treatment.

The bottom line is that I do not want to die horribly when the front end
comes off, proving I was wrong about this! The good thing is that he has
offered to hardness test the stub axle for free! His plan is to test the end
ie where the nut goes and check it against the inner bearing area, to see if
there is a difference. I will most likely take in another unheated strut for
comparison also.

My plan is to weld the threaded tube for the adjustable platforms on first,
and then get it done (hopefully in a couple of weeks).

I feel much happier now. When I get the hardness results I will post them.

Phil Bradshaw
Auckland, New Zealand
:
1992 Leitch Supersprint 20 Valve 4AGE Lotus 7 Replica - 66,000 Miles
1964 Ford Anglia '105-GZE' Supercharged 4AGZE Club Car Project
1980 TA-45 2TGEU Celica Beater $200 Wonder
:
phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz
64-9-4437055 H
64-9-4455509 W