Disc Brake Residual Pressure Valves

To: "mods" <toyota-mods@cyberauto.com>,
Subject: Disc Brake Residual Pressure Valves
From: "phil.bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 97 07:34:07 PDT
Yesterday we finished stripping the 1985 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-V (RWD
Corrola GT). It has 4 wheel discs, the front are vented.

A couple of weeks back there was a thread on rear disc chatter on cars that
had a disc rear conversion. Well, the Trueno (and Celica we stripped a
month or two back) both have little fittings in line between the master cyl
and the rear axle, located low on the front firewall.

I reckon this is a residual pressure valve. I base this on 3 things:

1.      It has one way arrows on the body.
2.      It looks like it contains a spring/plunger (from it's shape).
3.      From a production point of view (out on a limb here) it would be easier
to make one type of master cylinder that suits disc brake front and drum
rear - the disc front would incorporate a residual pressure valve as part
of the master cylinder, but when the disc rear is used, an external
residual pressure valve is needed.

Any thoughts? I would put it into the Leitch to check it out, but my
flaring tool is out on loan at the moment.

Phil Bradshaw
Auckland NZ

$100 wonder - 1981 TA 45 Celica - Lowered etc etc
1992 Leitch Supersprint 20 Valve Lotus 7 Replica - 64,000 miles...
Anglia 105GZE Supercharged 4AGZE Clubcar Project
1983 AE 86 Trueno GT-V 16 Valve beastie - $650 wonder - project in need of
direction.......

phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz
64-9-4455509 W/Fax
64-9-4437055 H