Toyota T-50 CR Gearboxes - Again (Groan!)

To: "mods" <toyota-mods@cyberauto.com>, "kitracers" <kitracers@kcbbs.gen.nz>,
Subject: Toyota T-50 CR Gearboxes - Again (Groan!)
From: "phil.bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 97 07:25:01 PDT
OK - I decided to suss out this CR thing.

Ripped the tranny out of the 1985 AE 86 Sprinter Trueno GT-V and checked
out the ratios. It has the standard ones (damn!) as follows:

1st     3.587
2nd     2.022
3rd     1.384
4th     1.0
5th     .861

I thought that I might still be lucky as the car was supposed to be1985 yet
the plug leads were '83 and there was a bolt missing from the tranny mount
ie it may have had the engine/trans changed. So I checked out the Leitch -
exactly the same ratios.

So, as that is now 2 out of 2 strike outs on GT-Vs I can only ass-u-me that
the guy who told me they came CR is mistaken. Interesting point tho - both
GT-Vs had toughened (not laminated) windscreens and no underseal - which
may explain the amount of rust......

BTW - checked out the gearbox ratios by putting 10 turns on the input shaft
and counting the turns and fractions (ie 7 o'clock etc) on the output
shaft. Then divide 10 by the output turns. Did this in the Leitch too, by
jacking the car up (on stands), taking off the handbrake, popping the spark
plugs out and turning the engine via a ratchet and socket on the crank
pulley.

How accurate?

Well, I got 3.656, 2.034, 1.379, 1.0 (of course), 0.863 and 3.478(R).
Accurate enuff for me.

Tragically this means both my 'calibrated' tacho and speedo are
considerably out. Looks like I have been thevictim yet again of 'attack of
the experts'!

Phil Bradshaw
Auckland NZ

$100 wonder - 1981 TA 45 Celica - Lowered etc etc
1992 Leitch Supersprint 20 Valve Lotus 7 Replica - 64,000 miles...
Anglia 105GZE Supercharged 4AGZE Clubcar Project
1983 AE 86 Trueno GT-V 16 Valve beastie - $650 wonder - project in need of
direction.......

phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz
64-9-4455509 W/Fax
64-9-4437055 H