Re: Lotus '7's - which kit?

To: "Hunt, Toby T" <Hunt.Toby.T@bhp.com.au>,
Subject: Re: Lotus '7's - which kit?
From: "phil.bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 06 May 97 18:24:49 PDT
Toby,

I am dubious on recommends as we are all biased! What do you want to use
the car for? I could recommend a Caterham because they are the 'real' thing
- but bloody expensive and wankers to deal with (I know, i visited them).
They are also flimsy - I can sit on my rear guards....

I could recommend frasers as they are well built, great finish, and the
biggest in the southern hemisphere. But they are not so available custom
built unless you have a lot of dosh. They also only do deDion rear.

I could say leitch because i have one. i also know that they still hold
together after 100,000km because i have done it in 4.5 years - show me
ANYTHING else that can do that and i will buy you a beer. leitch also do
fully independent rears. But do not make as many as Fraser. Seats adjust -
I am 185 cm tall....

Then there is westfield - nice finish (I looked at a new one a couple of
years ago) but ugly in my opinion. if you can't afford a caterham, buy a
Fraser/leitch - at least they look the same.

Then there is PBR - never seen one, but they review well. have built less
than Fraser.

If you are going to race it, or put heaps of miles on it, forget about
resale value - you will never compete with a 3000km sunday toy.

I built my kit with no real support - didn't need it. it comes down to what
knowledge or experience you have. Remember the companies are out to sell
cars/kits - you get support from clubs and this newsgroup.

Compliance is best found by asking the manufacturer.

Basically I would go Fraser/Leitch/PBR with the final decision based on
price and who best fits your seating/compliance/IRS requirements. Lets not
lose sight of the fact that the damn things really are simple construction
and you could always modify it....

Phil Bradshaw
Auckland NZ

Leitch Supersprint 20 Valve Lotus 7 Replica (61500 miles. ha!)
Anglia 105GZE Supercharged 4AGZE Clubcar Project

phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz
64-9-4455509 W/Fax
64-9-4437055 H