Toyota 20 Valve

To: "kitracers" <kitracers@kcbbs.gen.nz>,
Subject: Toyota 20 Valve
From: "phil.bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 06 May 97 17:56:20 PDT
Toby,

I have no idea on the latest spec 20 valve engine - the latest one I know
of is the 5/95 onwards, which i believe is little different from the 5/91
engine.

The factory manual I have is an engine mechanical only manual, which i
bought in Japan on a stop over on the way to UK in 1995. I also got the
then latest sales brochure, which gives power figures and torque curves
etc. I additionally have the EFI system wiring diagram, which I got with
the engine. It is all in Japanese, however I got the wiring diagram
translated. The engine manual (which does not include the EFI) is similar
enuff to Toyota 4AGE manuals that it does not need translating as the
torque settings etc are all in arabic numerals and the sequence pictures
make sense if you have half a brain.

I have done best part of 70,000 km on this engine now and have done nothing
other than change oil and filter. It still has the spark plugs Toyota
installed in 1991. I run a 4.44 diff and get 34.5 mpg irrespective of
whether i drive around town or on a trip. Parts are easy to get here in NZ
via Toyota as they run CD Roms for parts that list all the cars on a
chassis number basis. Delivery ex Japan is about 3 weeks. I have never had
to replace anything. BTW the 20 valve is covered in the 5th edition TRD
catalogue - which i don't have

I have not checked out pricing in the last 12 months or so. I have been
really busy lately, but basically these things do not sit around on shelves
- they tend to sell fairly quickley. The best bet is to have the money
available and ring around until you find one. They come in all the time,
and some places will source ex Japan for you - at a premium. The hardest
part is gettingwiring looms and ECUs all together - most of the engines
sold here are replacements for cars that only need the engine - not many
people need ECUs and wiring. i will try to sniff around a bit in the next
couple of weeks - I need to suss a loom and ECU price for someone as well.

I do not know if the Leitch has Oz compliance - it may well do. I guess if
a Fraser can get it a Leitch can. There are a few in Oz. I haven't talked
to Barry Leitch in about 9 months.

Hope this helps.

Phil Bradshaw
Auckland NZ

1992 Leitch Supersprint 20 Valve Lotus 7 Replica (61,500 miles)
Anglia 105GZE Supercharged 4AGZE Clubcar Project

phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz
64-9-4455509 W/Fax
64-9-4437055 H

Phil Bradshaw