Crank friction

To: "'v8'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, buick
Subject: Crank friction
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 02:58:50 -0500
All,
    I've measured the crank journal diameters, and checked the main
bores for allignment.  I have the crank in the block with lightly oiled
bearings in position 1 and 5 with the caps in place.  I've been told
that the best check is to simply turn the crank by hand and see if it
turns freely.  When I grab it by the snout and turn it, there is some
initial sticktion, after which it starts to turn freely.  If I turn it
fast enough, it will continue to turn about 1/4 turn after I let go.
The initial sticktion is quite heavy, and even once motion begins, it
still takes about twice as much effort to twist it as it would to twist
a heavy-duty doorknob.
    Is this what it's supposed to feel like?  What should it feel like
once I have all the main caps tightened?

Thanks!!!
James J.

///
///