Bypass Tube and electric water pumps

To: v8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, buick <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bypass Tube and electric water pumps
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 02:50:39 -0500
All,
    The little tube that runs from the back side of the water-pump to
the small tube on the thermostat cover, called the bypass tube:  As far
as I can tell, that allows the pump to circulate a little water through
the block and heads prior to the thermostat opening.  Or is the
circulation just a way of keeping the pump from cavitating until the
thermostat opens?  Is that correct?  If so, is it necessary?
    I ask because many of the electric water pumps don't turn on until
the water gets to a certain temp.  Also, if you use a remote water pump
instead of the belt-driven one, it is usualy in a location where it
would take some really clever rigging to get it to provide that
circulation function prior to the thermostat opening, so I'm asking if
anyone knows what the bypass tube really does, and if it is a necessary
function.

Thanks.
James J.

///