Water pump

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Water pump
From: Easton Trevor A <trevor_easton@dofasco.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:01:56 -0500
OK, let me pose a question.

I have a small coolant leak, apparently coming somewhere from the front of
the engine, probably the seal behind the water pump.  It drips down the
front of the block.  What, in the learned experience of the group, are
precautions to removing the water pump and installing a new seal.  Sounds
simple enough, but having never done it would appreciate any tips before
getting in too deep for my low level of ability.   Does anyone have the
source number for the seal?

This is a 1990-91 vintage 3.9Liter EFI engine, in a Morgan +8 and it is very
tight resulting in poor visual access so my guess is this is where the
coolant is coming from.  All hoses look good.

Thanks

Gary

My experience with just such a leak is "fix it soon". I procrastinated and
the shaft sheared when the bearings seized. We were lucky that it occured at
low speed and the only losses were the water pump and some fins on the
radiator. I've heard of parts coming right through the bonnet. I suggest you
just install a new pump rather than mess around doing the seal. Examination
of our failed pump revealed a nice stress raising step in the shaft right
where it broke. Since then I have been recommending replacement of the water
pump at 100K regardless of leaks etc.

Trevor

///
///