Re: Water pump

To: emog <emog@lists.gomog.com>
Subject: Re: Water pump
From: lmg@gomog.com
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 09:15:35 -0500
> I have a small coolant leak, apparently coming somewhere
> from the front of the engine, probably the seal behind
> the water pump.  It drips down the front of the block.
> What, in the learned experience of the group, are
> precautions to removing the water pump and installing a new
> seal. Sounds simple enough, but having never done it would
> appreciate any tips before getting in too deep for my low
> level of ability. Anyone have the source number for the seal?
>
> This is a 1990-91 vintage 3.9Liter EFI engine, in a Morgan +8
> and it is very tight resulting in poor visual access so my
> guess is this is where the coolant is coming from.  All hoses
> look good.  Thanks Gary

Coolant leaks should be checked out quickly and if they are pump related
they must be dealt with immediately. Before you assume it is the pump,
please check the clamps on the coolant hoses in the area and two others.
There are two metal pipes that are used to conduit the coolant through
the valley between the valley gasket and your intake manifold. These
pipes are attached to the bottom of the intake manifold by clips to
prevent them from vibrating and moving. There are hoses clamped to these
at each end (front of the engine and the rear of the engine. These pipes
rust inevitably at the ends or the clips. Either will leak out the front
of the engine around the pump as the valley directs even a rear leak
towards the front.

Replacing these pipes is a chore because of the clips. (You will find
that only one of the pipes is purchasable on the market these days, the
other you must have made...no big deal.) However, the only way to clip
to the bottom of the intake manifold is to remove it. I have seen a few
repairs where people just slid the new pipes in place and let them lie
on the valley. This will work for a little while but also super-heats
the coolant and allows for vibration and a mild sound factor creating
another argument for composite valley gaskets. (smile)

If the leak is from the water pump gasket..replace it but don't replace
the seal on a water pump. Either replace the whole pump, or rebuild it
completely if you have the tools and the press. The engine bay of a Plus
8 is nothing like any of the engine bays on the Buicks or the Rover/LR.
Water pumps have been Morgan-modified to fit and we use Vitesse pump
WITHOUT a viscous coupling.  (Image attached) I believe a SD1 will do as
well. Finally the immediate proximity of the upper crossmember is a
large issue when dealing with the water pump and the shaft of the pump
has been shortened to fit. I have done this but it must be done
carefully so as to not prejudice the seal or the bush with force or
resultant heat. Determine where the cut should be by using your existing
pump as the measure.

To remove the pump; (you will find all this easier if you remove, the
badge bar, the cowl and the rad and move the rad fan out of the way but
it is not strictly necessary)

1. drain the coolant to be assured that the level is below the pump.

2. remove the coolant hoses at the pump

3. loosen the alternator and pull it back,

4. remove the adjuster bracket

5. remove the fan belt

6. loosen the water pump bolts

7. remove the pulley bolts (the pulley will remain on held by the
crossbar)

8. remove the pump

9. if you are reusing the pump as the gasket was the only problem check
the impeller and its movement to make sure there is absolutely no issue
here and check the timing cover water pump section for any sign of
impeller abrasions. If there are none then,

10. Carefully clean off the timing cover and water pump for gasket
remnants and then refit with a new gasket and a touch of sealant on both
sides of the gasket.

11. Reassemble taking special care to FIT THE PULLEY on simultaneously
with the pump. If you don't you will find there is not enough room to
get the pulley on unless you brace the car and force the whole engine
back with a very very large bar. (not the preferred method)

12. Take special care to make sure the pulley is perfectly aligned with
the alternator and that the belt tension is good. Too loose is not great
and too tight can cause damage to both the alternator and the pump.

If I have forgotten something will someone please help? My car is stored
at the moment as I am working on another and this was done from memory.

Lorne

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
waterpump.jpg]

///
///