Waterpumps, (was has the list gone to sleep).

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrier@bconnex.net>
Subject: Waterpumps, (was has the list gone to sleep).
From: "Pete Bronlund" <peteb@clear.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:47:44 +1300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Barrie Robinson" <barrier@bconnex.net>
To: "Pete Bronlund" <peteb@clear.net.nz>
Cc: <gkneisley@mediaone.net>
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 7:42 AM
Subject: Re: Has the list gone to sleep?

> Pete,
>
> Where did you get you Quinten-Hazel water pump?
>
> I did not know that you could get them from there.  I had a special
short
> pump made by a chap in Los Angeles because I had limited clearance to
my
> rad in which to install a fan.  The "short" pump gave me a whole inch
which
> allows a BIG electric fan!!

For space reasons i used the QH pump see QH's online catalog at
http://www2.qha.com/catalogues/QH01.pdf
from the 'early' P6B Rover, part 2733. It comes with the great big
diecast & machined alloy 'thing' that the tin pulley bolts onto along
with the fan & measures from block mout face to tip appx 4.5". I simply
used a fat puller to yank it off (with a bit of heat care of the blow
torch!)

Without that pulley/fan mount this leaves a length 3" to where the pump
body ends (from block mount face) & then a long chunk of 5/8" dia shaft
sticking out to total 4.7".

My local machineshop man made up a mount-plate in mildsteel & pressed it
onto the shaft so that an after-market Chev alloy single-vee pulley (see
any HotRod magazine) in place it was online with the crank & alternator
pulleys. The Chev pulley mounts with four countersunk Torx bolts into
the plate. The excess of shaft was machined off leaving enough to centre
the pulley. (A bit of measuring, double checking & CAD drawing on my
part helped).

Total length pump (block mount) to pulley outside is under 4". This
gives me clearence to run a fat 16" elect fan on the radiator & not have
anything rubbing that shouldn't.

Engine bay looks the business with that pulley too.

Pete Bronlund (Building his Almac Sabre Kitcar).

///
///