Re: P76 V8 rebuild info

To: Simon Pigot <simon@dpiwe.tas.gov.au>
Subject: Re: P76 V8 rebuild info
From: Peter Kent <pkent@skynet.net.au>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 20:52:16 +1100
> From: Simon Pigot <simon@dpiwe.tas.gov.au>
> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:35:24 +1100
> To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
> Subject: P76 V8 rebuild info
>
> I've got a few of questions about the Australian (Buick/Rover 3.5/215
> derived) P76 4.4 V8:
>
> - heads - are they interchangeable with 3.5/215 Rover? If so, do you
> just ignore the troublesome third (lowest) row of bolts? (Much the same
> as when you fit the 3.5/215 Rover heads to the new Rover 4.6)

Yes, you can use Rover heads on a P76 block but it requires drilling an oil
gallery in each cylinder bank (as the P76 heads are lubricated by oil
passing up hollow push rods, while Rover heads use a separate oil gallery
supplying hollow rocker shafts in each head). Someone posted this comment on
the Rover list some time ago: "If you look at the P76 block, the provision
for the oil ways to the heads are cast  into the block.  You simply drill it
out with a "long" drill from the engineering supplies (not cheap) of course
you must be spot on with the angle.  A simple jig is best.  I use a piece of
"onsize" tube bronzed to a plate at the right angle.  I bolt the plate to
the block face and carefully drill down, of course I punch and start the
hole first."

Yes, you can ignore the outer row of head bolts.

> - main bearing caps & bolts - is it recommended to use new bolts (or
> stud replacements) when rebuilding? Can you use main bearing cap stud
> kits that are suitable for the 3.5/215 Rover V8 in the P76 4.4?
Yes and yes.

> - holden 6 cylinder pistons - which ones, what needs to be done to fit
> them, and why?

Holden 173/179, according to Marcus at
http://www.tripnet.se/rcos/p76ause.html

> - head gasket - composite or tin? I've heard tell that the composites
> are much better - did the P76 have composite head gaskets in factory
> form?

Use Rover composites

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]

///
///