P76 V8 rebuild info

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: P76 V8 rebuild info
From: Simon Pigot <simon@dpiwe.tas.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:35:24 +1100
I've got a few of questions about the Australian (Buick/Rover 3.5/215
derived) P76 4.4 V8:

- heads - are they interchangeable with 3.5/215 Rover? If so, do you
just ignore the troublesome third (lowest) row of bolts? (Much the same
as when you fit the 3.5/215 Rover heads to the new Rover 4.6)

- main bearing caps & bolts - is it recommended to use new bolts (or
stud replacements) when rebuilding? Can you use main bearing cap stud
kits that are suitable for the 3.5/215 Rover V8 in the P76 4.4?

- holden 6 cylinder pistons - which ones, what needs to be done to fit
them, and why?

- head gasket - composite or tin? I've heard tell that the composites
are much better - did the P76 have composite head gaskets in factory
form?

- inlet manifold - the Rover 3.5/215 has a reputation for flowing really
badly - is the standard P76 inlet manifold any better?

Keep in mind that I'm not really interested in making the engine "hot" -
very very mild/hi torque is what I'm after.

Thanks!
Simon

--
Simon Pigot                                             simon@dpiwe.tas.gov.au