RE: P76 V8 rebuild info

To: "'simon@dpiwe.tas.gov.au'" <simon@dpiwe.tas.gov.au>
Subject: RE: P76 V8 rebuild info
From: Gregory Williams <gwilliams@broadbase.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:40:16 -0500
Hi again Simon.
        The heads on the web site used by Bryan Daley are the cast iron
65-67 Buick 300 heads.  True, the valve sizes and ports are MUCH larger than
the Rover/P76 heads but there is a weight penalty involved in using them.
Also, as he has shown, there are extra water passages in the face of the
heads that the Rover based block don't have so they have to be plugged up
(as he has done).  Not to mention the exhaust passages in the the intake
side of the heads for manifold heat.  Rover/Buick 215 heads heat the intake
manifold via water passages.  The later cast iron Buick heads heat the
intake with exhaust gas.  Those passages have to be plugged up.  The
aluminum 1964 Buick 300 head has slightly smaller valves and ports than the
cast iron Buick heads but they are larger than the Rover based heads and
don't require any plugging up of any kind.  So if you need better heads, see
if you can't scare up a set of those.

Greg